Saturday, February 10, 2024

Canceled to Comeback: Anthems Not Apologies

The Dixie Chicks or now known as “The Chicks,” are a popular country music band that formed in the late 1990s comprised of lead singer, Natalie Maines, and sisters, Emily Strayer and Martie Maguire. Their hits ranged from the nostalgic song about leaving home for the first time, “Wide Open Spaces,” to the domestic violence revenge song, “Goodbye Earl.” Their popularity was so widespread that they even sang the National Anthem at the 2003 Superbowl.

In March 2003 while performing in London, England, Maines let the crowd know she was not happy with the United States decision to go to war with Iraq stating, “We’re ashamed the President of the United States is from Texas.” This quote led to huge controversy with country music radio boycotting the Chicks, late popular country music star Toby Keith refusing to tour with them, and the loss of fans. 

In 2006, they released their 7th album, which featured their response to the 2003 backlash, “Not Ready to Make Nice.” The song starts with a slow tempo acoustic guitar rift with only Maines’ soft vocals singing:

Forgive? Sounds good
Forget? I’m not sure I could
They say time heals everything
But I’m still waiting

The song begins with release musical patterns and tragic lyrics augmented with a dramatic illusion, meaning the future is unresolved. The music and the lyrics reinforce each other.

However, on the next verse, it begins with a release music pattern, but then the structure starts ascending with the addition of drums and Maines accentuating and pitching her voice higher and louder when she sings, “And I’ll keep paying.” The lyrics are both comic and tragic in this verse, with an optimistic feeling of relief.

I’m through with doubt
There’s nothing left for me to figure out
I’ve paid a price
And I’ll keep paying

The chorus begins with a fast-driving tempo of guitar and drum accompaniment, the lyrics are louder and amplified with the two other band members providing background vocals. The lyrics and music are congruent with the intensity, matching the anger and defiance lyrically and musically.

I'm not ready to make nice
I'm not ready to back down
I'm still mad as hell and
I don't have time to go 'round and 'round and 'round
It's too late to make it right
I probably wouldn't if I could
'Cause I'm mad as hell
Can't bring myself to do what it is you think I should

There’s also a feminist perspective in the last line of the chorus, “Can’t bring myself to do what it is you think I should.” There’s an underlying tone that an apology is the answer, but the song is pushing back on the narrative that women should apologize for speaking their truth and taking up space. 

As the song starts the new stanza, the feeling of anger is replaced with acceptance and pride. The Chicks stand by their words and actions when many others would have immediately apologized for the fear of losing profits, they held strong in their beliefs.

I know you said
Can't you just get over it?
It turned my whole world around
And I kind of like it
I made my bed and I sleep like a baby
With no regrets and I don't mind sayin'

The strategic ambiguity of the next verse is powerful and could relate to issues of racial and social issues, such as LGBTQ rights. If the listener didn’t have the background context, “I’m not ready to make nice,” is able to reach a diverse and marginalized audience that has been told to stay silent, hated for their mere existence, and punished for sharing political views. In 2018, Fox News host infamously told basketball ball superstar LeBron James to, “Shut up and dribble", after he spoke out about racial injustice which is reminiscent of how the media treated the Chicks after they voiced their opposition to President Bush. The way Maines accentuates this verse, and the accompanying violin and drums, communicates pent-up anger and sadness.

It's a sad, sad story when a mother will teach her
Daughter that she ought to hate a perfect stranger
And how in the world can the words that I said
Send somebody so over the edge
That they'd write me a letter
Sayin' that I better
Shut up and sing or my life will be over

The poignant last verse is Maines in a mellow tone with just a few notes strummed on the guitar, a sense of acceptance and the juxtaposition of instead of being the one providing the apology, they are still waiting for their apology.  

Forgive? Sounds good
Forget? I'm not sure I could
They say time heals everything
But I'm still waiting

The Chicks could have apologized but instead, even after being ostracized and losing fans, they essentially double downed on their choice to speak their minds. The song communicates to people who have held true to their beliefs and faced adversity that they can persevere and get through difficult times while maintaining their integrity. This song has become a modern-day protest anthem for those speaking truth to power.

What other music groups or musicians have been canceled and then made a comeback?


1 comment:

  1. I sure do remember the then Dixie Chicks getting cancelled before cancelling was even a thing. It's always struck me as odd that people expect those who have some sort of a pulpit not to use it. I didn't see any problem with the Dixie Chicks making the comment that they did, however it was within the rights of those who disagreed to not buy their records or tickets to their shows. Using your spotlight to shine on issues of your choosing is one of the best things about this county, we have to freedom to say what we want. People should always remember though, the masses may not agree, and they have influence on your bank account. That being said, they were very brave to be anti-war in a time when patriotism was at an all-time high.

    ReplyDelete