Friday, February 9, 2024

Classic Albums have become a Lost Art

Fleetwood Mac's Rumours, which talked about personal turmoil and division among the group. Usher's Confessions, about a personal love triangle that created personal strife. 50 Cent's Get Rich or Die Trying, personal triumph, a true rags to riches story. What do they all have in common? These are considered classic albums and have stood the test of time in their greatness. Maybe more recent for the genre's I enjoy we can make throw in Drake's, "Take Care", Kendrick Lamar's, "To Pimp A Butterfly", or even J.Cole's, "2014 Forest Hill Drive."

I have listened to most of the albums I have mentioned, I love music, I enjoy all genres for the most part growing up with Hip-Hop and R&B and in the words of my dad, "real music" listening to old school music like the Temptations, Earth, Wind and Fire, BeeGees and other bands as well. I unfortunately believe that musicians have gotten away from creating a masterpiece of albums and just has compilations of music singles. When musicians used to be done with their album they would select singles that would best sell the album. Now, musicians just do singles and compile them together with other singles that were popular. 

Adorno shares his insight of popular music vs serious (classical) music. He states the difference between the two is that popular music is standardization. No matter from the most general features down to the most specific features. Everything derives from what I believe Adorno is considering as a "popular trend." He goes on to share about the consumer of the music and how popular music structures the framework to make it familiar for the consumer. 

I share this insight from Adorno because music has all merged into one lane. Every genre has their own lane whether it is country, hip-hop, r&b, they all seemingly to become "standardized." For example, Hip-hop is currently in the "mumble rap" era. Hip-hop artist are half rap and half singers, with lyrics about drug use, sexual encounters or what they just purchased. For those who listen to country, how many times have you heard, "Country is starting to sound like pop music now."  Everything all derives from whatever is popular, because what popular sells or makes money. Unfortunately, that has led to the lack of making albums as the norm.

Are there any artist that come to mind that is "outside the norm"? What is the last great album you can listen from beginning to end? Do you feel that music has become more about "singles" than albums?

2 comments:

  1. When I was thinking about topics to do this post assignment, I was thinking about artists whose music changed the music landscape. The band that came to mind immediately was Nirvana, who, at the time, I considered outside the norm. The gritty sound of the grunge genre was a breath of fresh air that brought a sound that still, to this day, is a favorite. Nirvana's iconic "Nevermind" was the last album I listened to from beginning to end (more than once). Because of the popularity of apps such as Spotify, music is more about singles than albums in our current culture. It used to be that you had to buy the album to hear other music by a band – it wasn’t as easily accessible as it is today. However, listening to an entire album while viewing the art of the covers and reading the lyrics along with the music was an experience in itself that can’t be replicated by listening to a few singles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Growing up in the 80s, the availability of music wasn't like it is today. There are so many choices. However, even then I was choosing the songs I liked and making my own albums – mix tapes. Mix tapes have now become playlists. Find a song that you like and the song platform can recommend a variety of new options. If I find a new artist, I will usually download the album associated with the song and then pick out the ones I like and make my own playlist. In a sense, I am doing the same things argued against. I'm taking individual songs and creating an album of it.

    ReplyDelete