Monday, February 5, 2024

Music Acquisition and Re-acquisition

It seems that I have purchased the same music over and over again. As a teenager I primarily listened to tapes, and then I progressed to CDs. I think that tapes are actually more durable than CDs which tend to get scratched. I then utilized a variety of digital music platforms, such as iPod and Zune, with Zune being my favorite. Somehow or some way, I always lost access to my songs. I think that this is intentional on the part of the music industry. Also, Zune went obsolete.

I wish that digital media didn’t continuously need to be tied to an account. For example, I recently learned that my Kindle e-book library is nontransferable.

I now just stream music on YouTube. Artists or music owners do earn a miniscule amount each time a video is streamed: https://virpp.com/hello/music-streaming-payouts-comparison-a-guide-for-musicians/#:~:text=YouTube%20pays%20artists%20%240.00164%20per,videos%2C%20under%20Content%20ID%20instances.

The other day the song “Disappointed” by Morrissey came to mind, and I was able to listen to it instantly: Morrissey - Disappointed (youtube.com)

I used to literally have to track down music to have access to it.

As a teenager, I was a huge Bob Dylan fan. I read a biography about him that referenced a number of bootleg tracks. I wrote to the author and asked how I might obtain copies of these. He arranged for someone to come to my door in Phoenix and give me copies of the tapes! Now these tracks are instantly available online with a few clicks.

I am glad for the easy accessibility of music, and I am glad that forums such as YouTube provide a convenient way for new artists to get their music out.

How do you usually access or purchase music?


1 comment:

  1. Ah the never ending circle of money. I found out the hard way that whatever digital copy of movies you "bought" are not really yours and if you want them you have to actuallybuy the hard copy. This is such a scam in my opinion. The companies want you to believe you have acces anytime, anywhere but if they decide is no longer available that is the end of it and you are out of luck. No matter how much you paid for that song or movie online. I find that I wanted certain songs and movies to always be available to me, so I resorted so the good old old DVD or CD and I kept them. If I want to rip the song off my CD and add it to an Ipod or whatever I can, same with my favorite movies or shows. It is the only way to never lose it. And I refuse to pay for something over and over so I guess the old fashioned way works for me. I often find myself picking up DVDs or records at the thrift store and now they are mine forever.

    ReplyDelete